Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Reading Habits

I have gotten into the habit of reading several books at the same time. Most people read one book at a time, but when you do that, you sometimes find yourself in the situation of not being in the mood to read that book, and so you read fewer things over time. But if you read several books in several genres, you'll find yourself reading much more, since there's a better chance of your wanting to read something you're reading. I typically read something creative (poetry, fiction, plays), something philosophical, and something scientific so that no matter what my mood, I'm ready to read it. Further, moving back and forth among books and genres allows me to see connections I would have otherwise missed. Thus, this approach to reading also allows for more complex thinking and understanding. Give it a try and see what happens.

So, what am I reading now?

"The No Plays of Japan" -- Arthur Waley, tr.
"The Aeneid" by Virgil -- Robert Fagles, tr.
"Emerson's Essays"
"Briefings on Existence" by Alain Badiou -- Norman Madarasz, tr.
"Narrative Theory and the Cognitive Sciences" == David Herman, ed.
"The Nurture Assumption" by Judith Rich Harris

No comments: